An islands is an isolated piece of land covered by water. Small Islands are referred to as islets. Islands in lakes or rivers are called eyot or air. While the ones on the coast are holms. However, the term, the archipelago is used to describe large geographically related islands such as Indonesia.
This article will discuss the top beautiful islands in the world. Though there are many beautiful islands to highlight, we will refer only to a limited number in our list.
This volcanic island is located in Ecuador, divided on each side of the equator. The official tongue here is Spanish and comprises 19 Islands and islets.
Galapagos is famous due to the numerous scientific pieces of research that were carried out in the past. Men like Charles Darwin were associated with the Galapagos Islands. A diversity of animal (endemic) species resides on this Island. The Islands have their highest point at the Volcan Wolf. Amazing features that contribute to its general panoramic outlook are:
- The surrounding waters from the Ecuadorian Galapagos provinces.
- The Islands water reserve.
- Galapagos national park.
The typical climate conditions of these Islands are; semi-arid, tropical savanna and tropical rainforest.
Though Galapagos is incredible, visits are scanty. Visitors are usually on a strict and licensed guide.
Common species are turtles, long-lived tortoises, penguins, molluscs, a diversity of birds, iguanas and more.
In the southeast of Greece, you’ll find Santorini, i.e in the Southern Aegean sea. Santorini comprises other Islands. The islands were formed from the longest historical eruption – the Theran eruption, that’s why this region is called Thera.
Common economic activities here are tourism, agriculture, wine industry and brewing. Santorini has numerous magnificent architectures and environments. You can find classic beaches, restaurants and bars. This adventure could be the best thing to do in Santorini.
Sightseeing places to visit are:
- The famous Volcano of Santorini.
- Mediterranean coast, Caldera.
- Oia blue dome churches.
- Akrotiri Minoan site.
The Maldives is located in the Indian Ocean i.e in southeast Asia and south of Sri Lanka. The Maldives was formerly called Kings Island. It’s an archipelago with a significant history in culture and other sectors.
Common economic activities are tourism and the fishing industry. In fact, the first tourist resorts were Bandos Island Resort and Kurumba Maldives.
Some interesting facts
The Maldives has mad sunshine. Sun protection is highly recommended. The Maldives located at the equator, sun strikes at an angle of 90°.
Sandbanks and the island shapes are another fun fact. Sandbanks brought by the current are taken back and new ones emerge. Another thing to witness is the island’s sharks, traditional music and coral houses on the island.
Martinique is located in the Lesser Antilles of the West Indies, east of the Caribbean sea. The Islands is a typical exhibition in France first charted by Christopher Columbus in 1493, by then the Spanish paid little or no interest to the island.
Martinique depends on agriculture, imports and exports, and tourism for economic development. Also, music is an intrinsic component of the island’s culture, hence, the success of zouk music.
Amazing sites to tour around here are:
– Balata Botanical Garden, with over 3,000 species of tropical plants and flowers.
– Les Salines; is one of the nicest beaches on the island.
– Fort-de-France; is the main sightseeing port.
– Les Trois-Ilets; in this nice tourist location, you’ll find truly amazing restaurants, bars, boutiques, etc.
– Pointe du Bout is; a perfect location for a boat tour.
– Musée de la Pagerie, a former sugar estate. Napoleon’s Empress’s birthplace.
– Zoo de Martinique and Le Carbet; the zoo is close to the town of Le Carbet. Visiting the zoo is one of the activities you shouldn’t miss out on.
Vancouver is located in the Northeast part of the Pacific Ocean. It’s the largest island on the west coast of America. However, the island’s ecology is composed of fauna the same as the mainland, meanwhile, there are exceptions. Many animals on the mainland are not on the island. But few from the island aren’t found on the mainland.
Economic activities on Vancouver Island range from the IT industry – the largest city on the Island. Logging, fishing, food export and import, and tourism are the major contributors to the island’s economy. In Strathcona Park, Della falls is the highest waterfall in North America. Also, the tallest tree, Sitka Spruce, is found in Carmanah valley on the island.
The street, Fan Tan Alley in Victoria, is the narrowest commercial street in Canada.
The Island, Seychelles consist of about 115 islands and is bounded by the Indian ocean. Seychelles comprises extremely beautiful locations. Economically speaking, it’s classified as a high-income economy nation in Africa. It’s one of the most developed countries in the nation.
The archipelago’s economy depends on tourism, energy and exports – especially on cinnamon, copra and vanilla.
Amazing places to tour:
- Anse Lazio, Praslin. Praslin island is best visited early in the morning or late afternoon.
- Anse Intendance, Mahé, an exciting surfing beach.
- Baie Lazare village in Mahé. A notable attraction here is the Neo-Gothic Baie Lazare church.
- La Digue Island is the fourth largest island in Seychelles. A pretty white sand beach.
- Morne Seychellois National Park is a suitable and favourite spot for hiking. It’s the largest national park on the island, a beautiful place for nature lovers.
- Ste Anne Marine National Park. A boat ride from mahe will take you a couple of minutes to reach this location. Activities like Snorkeling, scuba diving, and glass-bottom boat excursions thrive here
- Cousin Island. It’s the world’s first carbon-neutral nature reserve. This rare island is preserved by an endemic bird species, the Seychelles warbler.
- Victoria, the island’s small capital located in Mahe. Here, you will find the famous Seychelles National Botanical Gardens where you will find rare sights like flying foxes, giant tortoises, an orchid garden etc.
Bora Bora is a French island, northwest of Papeete. In the Tahitian language, “B” is substituted for”P” and called Pora Pora instead. The island is popular for its seaside luxury resort. It’s lined by ample coconut trees and aquatic supplies. Tourism takes up a major part of its economy. Most tourist places here are coastal-oriented. Very popular sports activities in Bora Bora are Snorkeling and scuba diving.
In the aquatic habitat are various species of ray sharks. The most notable attraction is the lagoon. Between Pointe Paopao and Pointe Matira, the large bay in the southwest of the island lies the island’s pristine beaches.
Funnily, there are no insects, pests or poisonous snakes in Bora Bora. There are small islets like Motu Ahuna, Motu Tapu, Motu Mute and many more. There are bungalows and private beaches for couples and lovers. Hence, it’s a perfect location for couples and honeymoons, therefore, it’s popularly called the romantic island.
In Bora Bora common things like tattoos, and flowers have meanings attached to them.
St. Lucia island lies in the eastern part of the Caribbean, bounded by the Atlantic ocean. Castries, its capital, is also its largest city. The first set of people to settle on this island was the French. The island was named after a woman, Saint Lucy of Syracuse, though the reason isn’t explicit.
St. Lucia is classified as a small island developing state. The economy is heavily dependent on tourism, then agriculture and production. Common commodities gotten here are Honey, rum, chocolate, coconut oil, granola, and insect repellent.
Tourists places include;
- Sulphur Springs in Soufriere are warm volcanic pools. They are the only drive-in volcano in the Caribbean. The mud bath is therapeutic, it contains minerals.
- The piton Mountains – Gros Piton and Petit Piton are notable attractions.
- Stunning island beaches
Sicily is located in the central Mediterranean sea, in the southern part of the Italian peninsula. It’s the largest island on the Mediterranean coast.
The island’s economy is dependent on industry and services, agriculture and tourism. It boasts of robust economic development.
Amazing facts in Sicily;
Mount Etna is one of the top landmarks in Sicily. One of the tallest and most active volcanoes in Europe.
Over time, many cultural settlements dwell in Sicily, hence the island has numerous archaeological sites, this includes:
- Sicels or Sicanss – Eryx, Cava Ispica, Pantalica.
- Greeks – Agrigento, Segesta, Selinunte, Gela, Megara Hyblaea, Heraclea Minoa
- Phoenicians – Soluntum, Marsala, Palermo.
- Romans -Centuripe, Taormina, Palermo.
- Arabs – Palermo, Mazara del Vallo.
Places to explore include the city’s capital, Palermo. Eat native the meal, sarde a beccafico. There’s a fishing town, Cefalu. You can scour the sandy shoreline or swim in the aquamarine waters before the fishermen begin the business.
There are many more beautiful islands all over the world. We have others like Husar, Tasmania, Bali, and Easter Island among others.
When visiting the islands, do well to do an accurate climate check just to be sure you travel at the best times which will most suitable favour your tourism.
However, for tour guides, consultations, bookings etc. Our affiliation at tripnub got you covered.